5 Signs That Your Dog Has Been Stung by a Bee

Has your dog been acting aggressively after playing in your garden for a while? Is it continuously licking its paws and letting out short whines? Chances are that it has been stung by a bee. 

If it is a mild sting, then some emergency first-aid runs and over-the-counter medicines will help with the matter, and your dog will be out of danger. However, if it has been stung multiple times and in vulnerable areas, it is wise for you to immediately contact the vet. Most of the time, dogs are vulnerable to allergic reactions if a bee stings them in sensitive areas like their paws, nose, or inside the mouth.

Now, how will you understand when your dog has been stung? 

This article has been curated to guide you to find signs of an allergic reaction to a bee sting in dogs

Symptoms you will notice immediately after your dog has been stung by a bee

1. Continuous whining

There are several instances when your dog might whine, like hunger, sleep, or depression. Pain is another possible cause for whining in a dog, which may be a sign of a bee sting.

How will you know exactly? Suppose your dog’s current whining behaviour has commenced after visiting the garden (where bees are frequent visitors). In that case, there is a 9 on 10 chance that the worst has happened. A bee must have stung him while he was trying to eat a nectar-filled flower.

If the whining stops after a while, there is little to worry about. It might indicate that the stinger is already out of its body. In case, the constant whining continues, and your dog starts acting helpless, it is time you contact your vet and communicate the matter to him or her.

Make sure to not delay the process, to avoid serious consequences.

2. Biting or nibbling the place it has been stung

This might be a confusing sign to follow if your dog has been stung by a bee because they tend to nibble and lick almost every area in their body several times a day.

Are they continually nibbling and biting the same area again and again?

In this case, it might not be their regular cleaning routine. Your dog is hurt, and you must tend to it as soon as possible.

If your dog is continuously biting and nibbling one specific area on their body, chances are, that it has been stung. You must leave everything you are engaged with and deal with your pet by trying to locate the stinger they cannot dislodge themselves.

In case you have negligent knowledge on how you can take out the stinger, call your vet immediately, and he or she will be able to guide you further on.

3. Lifting the area where they are stung

dog 2074921 1280
Image by Klaus Hausmann from Pixabay

Your pet dogs rely on you to understand them, and naturally, they believe that you will not fail to know when they are in pain. Hence, if they are lifting their paw continuously or nudging you with their noses, it does not always mean they want to play.

When a dog is injured, they will likely lift or point the area to bring it to your attention, since they are helpless in this matter. As its owner, you must take swift action to ensure its safety.

In case, you are unable to locate the stinger, and the aggressive behaviour of your dog persists, you should immediately contact the vet and make arrangements to get out the stinger before your dog catches an allergic reaction to it.

4. Visible swelling in the infected area

Another sign that will show if your dog has been stung by a bee is when the affected area will appear swollen and red. With a bee sting, the place where they have been stung is inevitably visibly swollen. 

If these areas include the paws, the nose, or the exposed belly area. In case that is the case, chances are that it might lead to an allergic reaction, which needs immediate medical attention. 

Sometimes, severe allergy cases might lead to death, leaving you earth-shattered and guilty for a situation that could have been avoided. That is why we are bringing this point to your attention. If you see any swelling in the sensitive areas of the body of your dog, contact your vet immediately to avoid unnecessary complications. 

5. Sudden Aggression and Discomfort 

doodle barking 2965983 1280
Image by dahancoo from Pixabay

It is an inherent reflex reaction in almost all living beings to show some discomfort after being hurt or pricked with a needle. If your dog has been stung by a bee in your garden, it will instantly start to show signs of discomfort and possible aggression when you try to pet it. 

They do this because they cannot locate the stinger that has been pricked into their body by the bees. It causes them frustration due to which they tend to turn aggressive, and might end up biting anyone who comes near them. It’s an act of defence. 

If you notice your dog reacting this way, ring up the vet immediately. He will probably ask you to immediately bring your dog to the veterinarian. 

Signs that it is an emergency situation in case of a bee sting

Source

In some cases, a bee sting can be tended to with some common over-the-counter medicines and immediate first aid at home. However, sometimes it might not be just a mild sting. An emergency situation will entail: 

  • Multiple bee stings on the same spot or in different areas.
  • Brutal bee stings on sensitive areas like the nose, paws, or inside the mouth might lead to poisoning. 
  • Possible allergic reaction in dogs after a bee sting might include projectile vomiting or sudden unconsciousness. 

If any of the above symptoms show, you must make immediate arrangements to take your dog to the vet. If it is deemed an emergency situation by the vet, you and your dog will likely be called to the ICU. 

The main idea for you is to not panic because if your injured dog sees you panicking, they will get anxious and end up injuring themselves even more. 

FAQs

  1. What are the signs that your dog got stung by a bee in the mouth?

Ans. If your dog has been stung by a bee in the mouth, it is a dire situation. Since the mouth (tongue and gums) is a sensitive area, your dog may not be able to take the stinger out of its own mouth. This will lead to an allergic reaction in most dogs because of the poisonous sting. The first signs you will notice in your dog if it has been stung by a bee in the mouth are – insistent drooling, whining, swollen eyes and mouth, heightened agitation, and lumpy looking skin.

  1. How soon does a dog show signs of a bee sting?

Ans. Suppose your dog has suffered from a bee bite while it was roaming around in your garden. Signs that it has been stung will start to show in roughly 10 to 30 minutes. You will notice swelling in the face, difficulty breathing, continuous drooling, or an attempt to bite around the area.

  1. What are the signs that your dog tried to eat a bee?

Ans. It is a natural instinct in dogs to bite or eat anything that flies in front of them. Now, if your dog has tried to eat a bee, it will pose a serious issue. The poisonous bees, if ingested, will cause immediate allergic reactions in your dogs, that might in some cases, lead to death. You can prevent this by identifying the symptoms and arrange to take him to the vet almost immediately. If your dog has eaten a bee, it will continuously drool from the mouth, might vomit, might fall unconscious, and have difficulty in breathing. In case you come across these signs, make sure you ring the vet.

Conclusion 

We hope this informative article has helped you determine whether your dog has been stung by a bee. Maintaining a bee-friendly garden has its risks, and pet dogs are a liability that needs to be guarded against our yellow furry friends.

Leave a comment